I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

Old English Mastiff vs English Mastiff

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
sassyzena
PUPPY BREATH
PUPPY BREATH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:50 am   Post subject:  Old English Mastiff vs English Mastiff Back to top 

Hi I was wondering what the difference between an Old English Mastiff and English Mastiff. I use to think there was no difference But now I'm startng to wonder. My vet and a few older breeders have told me that my Pearl is an Old English Mastiff thats why she looks diffrent than the other English Mastiffs. Other ones do seem to look more like an American Mastiff to me. Please look at her pics and tell me what you think. My web site is *******

edited by hankums..
Please , pm for the address.

Download Post   
MSummerford
SLINGER
SLINGER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:53 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

First of all Welcome to MOC! Secondly, your dogs are gorgeous.

Im new to the breed, but it is my understanding that OEM, EM, and Mastiff are all the same. Mastiff is the name that is recognized by the Breed Standard @ AKC.

American mastiffs are cross-breeds. Mastiff w/ Anatolian Shepards.

Warrior Goddess at Myth and Legend aka Pudgey
5/9/10

www.DelcoDog.com
Download Post   
logdog
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:54 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Mastiff, English Mastiff and Old English Mastiff are all the same breed. American Mastiff is not.

PUPPY BREATH
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:01 am   Post subject:  Re: Old English Mastiff vs English Mastiff Back to top 

Thanks! She looks different from the ones around here. She has a bigger head, shorter nose and a lot more wringles. The ones I see here have no wringles and lonnger noses and shes bigger than ones older than her. Why?

Download Post   
alwcm4
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:07 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Welcome to MOC! My only thougth is that dogs are like people, each is different, and it all depends on the lineage. Many mature differently at different rates, some are taller, some are shorter. Some have more wrinkles, some are fluffies, etc, etc. Genetics are a funny thing. She is a pretty girl that you have!

LEASH TRAINED
LEASH TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:18 am   Post subject:  Re: Old English Mastiff vs English Mastiff Back to top 

I have heard people speak of 'typey' mastiffs and understood that these are the larger boned, wrinklier mastiffs.....same dogs, just different look. Your dogs are gorgeous!!!!

NALA at 6 months
Download Post   
Hankums
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:42 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Some call that the Lion and the Walrus.... I have one of each Wink
Welcome to MOC
But yep, no difference in Old English and English Wink
ETA...Wait, is Pearl your dog?? Is that your website or a site youre thinking about buying from?? I'm confused, Pearl just had puppies, so you bred her???

GLMR Volunteer
http://www.glmr.org
Download Post   
BigBensMom
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:17 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I don't see that your dogs look any different than other dogs here.... Of course there are a lot of different "looks" represented on MOC. Not all pet quality Mastiffs meet the standard for the breed... But, your dogs look like Mastiffs to me! Smile

Mastiff is the correct name.
Old English... English... that is not the correct name. The breed name is Mastiff Smile

Riggins (Golden Retriever / Great Dane mix)
BeBop (Lhasa Apso / Shih Tzu mix)
Download Post   
logdog
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:01 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Am I missing something here? Don't the pedigree papers list what kind of dog you have? I would think $1200 for a pup of unknown breed is a little high.

SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:22 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

You dog is pretty...But she doesn't look any different to me..or larger?

I wonder if this was an "ad" thread?

She is lovely, but looks like an average mastiff to me.

I was expecting to see a slightly overdone big mastiff like some breeders have..with big bone and head and wrinkle.

~ CH. Lacelle's Big Mudder Trucker ~
Download Post   
MSummerford
SLINGER
SLINGER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:32 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

mindee wrote (View Post): › I wonder if this was an "ad" thread?

I think your onto something!

Warrior Goddess at Myth and Legend aka Pudgey
5/9/10

www.DelcoDog.com
Download Post   
weebit29
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:45 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I don't think your dogs look any different from my dogs. Although I do think it a bit odd you bred her and THEN asked what she was. Is the Stud listed on your website the sire? He looks pretty young or is lacking in bone if he is mature. Did you do any testing on Pearl?
And Mastiff is correct, Old English and English are sometimes used to distinguish them from like Neo's or Boerboels or Cane Corso's etc. But according to our breed club (MCOA) they are Mastiffs.
Missy

Pretend you are a star, and poke a hole into someones darkness
Download Post   
Hankums
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:53 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

weebit29 wrote (View Post): › I don't think your dogs look any different from my dogs. Although I do think it a bit odd you bred her and THEN asked what she was.

My thoughts too... Surprised

GLMR Volunteer
http://www.glmr.org
Download Post   
discoganya
LEASH TRAINED
LEASH TRAINED
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:16 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Actually, an Old English Mastiff is one that is .... Old. 8+ and you have yourself an Oldey.

Very Happy Sorry

SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:26 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

After looking at the pics again I would have to say IMO they look kind of small (or young and havent developed yet) Their chests are very narrow and very leggy which is pretty typical of young dogs. So which ever breeder or vet you are talking to doesn't seem to know the breed very well IMO.

This is an example of the Old English Mastiff type many refer to as being big in bone, head etc.

~ CH. Lacelle's Big Mudder Trucker ~
Download Post   

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic