Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

misie76
Subject:  Safe Guard Goat wormer for dog
I was doing some research on dog wormer and I came across several forum where people were using Goat/Cow wormer for their dog.

Some of the comments were"

"We routinely use this in the rescue I foster for as so many dogs come in with whipworms or other parasites. The dosage I have been told to use and find effective is: 1 ml (which contains 100 mg active ingredient) per 5 lbs of dog bodyweight."

"When my cousin worked at PetWild, I'd go in a help her out every summer, and that's how they'd worm all of the puppies. Well, not the goat wormer: they just used the cow wormer instead, but same idea. It really seemed to work! especially when the pens had to be cleaned out... "

Is anybody heard about it or tried it?

What do you think about it?

Download Post
misie76
Subject:  Re: Safe Guard Goat wormer for dog
Other testimony:

"Ivermectin 10% injectable solution for heartworm prevention: 1/10 of 1cc per 10lbs of body weight given every 30-40days. Can be given orally or injected subcutaneous. I prefer to give orally....shoot medicine at the back of the dogs mouth, but on the roof of the mouth to prevent them from inhaling it. Would like to note that I test yearly for heartworm and reccomend anyone using this first get their dog tested for heartworm to make sure they are free and clear before starting preventative. If they are positive for Heartworms the vet will have to determine how bad it is and what route will work best to save the dog's life....

Also works to get rid of demodectic mange (thought it's a slow process) Same dose as above, given every 4 days until skin scrape comes back clean for the mites (also works on ear mites). -Do NOT use in collie breeds as they are sensitive to Ivermectin--

SafeGuard 10% Suspension: 1ml per 5 lbs of body weight given once a day for 3 days in a row. Imporatnt to give for 3 days and do not skip days between dose. Use as your all purpose canine wormer every 30-45 days to keep canines parasite free (which is imporant as many of their parasites can be transfered to humans..yuck!)."

Download Post
texas-racer
There is a lot of different animal dewomers that contain the same active ingredient that can be crossed over to canine. Some of the people here do deworming like you mentioned in your post. Just like anything there is some good and some bad, so depending on the product you find you can post it here and we can tell you whether it is good or bad.
Some of us do use the ivermectin for heartworm prevention. Ivermectin is also a good intestinal dewormer for certain types of worms.

Download Post
crystaphaze
Subject:  
Ive used the Safe Guard for goats. My dog was exposed by foster dog and I did it as prevention because the vet wanted over $200 to treat mine. Rescues use it too and it is the same active ingredient.

I also used the Ivermec for HW prevention on my Mastiff. I dont on my Shih Tzu cause the dosage is so tiny it is hard to measure and 1/10 ratio is already pretty high. My vet condones this but he recomends a much lower dose and mixing it with something else but many Mastiff breeders who have done this for years do it the way you mentioned and that is what I have stuck with. We are in TX where HW is rampant and our tests are negative!

Download Post
texas-racer
I want to remind everyone that the 1/10 of a cc per 10 pounds is the higher dose to also take care of intestinal worms. If you was trying to dose for heartworm alone, the dose is so small it can not be measured like this. So if you do use this method you do not have to use a intestinal dewormer, unless your treating for a worm that Ivermectin does not cover.

Download Post
misie76
I also heard about people using Panacur for horse on their English mastiff. What do you think about it?

Download Post
texas-racer
Panacur is a common intestinal dewormer, but you have to have the dosing right. It does nothing for heartworm.

Download Post
alwcm4
Subject:  
Suprisingly if you use horse panacur on dogs it takes a much higher dose than in horses, not sure the exact ratio. Using the dog panacur is way cheaper than the horse.

I use Ivomec on my dogs for heartworm prevention.

Download Post
Pam
Subject:  
texas-racer wrote (View Post): ›
I want to remind everyone that the 1/10 of a cc per 10 pounds is the higher dose to also take care of intestinal worms. If you was trying to dose for heartworm alone, the dose is so small it can not be measured like this. So if you do use this method you do not have to use a intestinal dewormer, unless your treating for a worm that Ivermectin does not cover.

So if this dosage also covers other things is it safe to give this dosage 7 or 8 months out of the year?

Download Post
Janeothejungle
Subject:  
Why use the goat wormer when Safe Guard makes a dog version? I believe TSC carries it.

Download Post
texas-racer
Pam wrote (View Post): ›
texas-racer wrote (View Post): ›

So if this dosage also covers other things is it safe to give this dosage 7 or 8 months out of the year?

Yes

Download Post
misie76
Subject:  
Janeothejungle wrote (View Post): › Why use the goat wormer when Safe Guard makes a dog version? I believe TSC carries it.

Because it is less expensive. Especially when you have a big dog. heavier your dog is, more expensive the wormer is.

Safe guard horse is $6.99 (horse.com)

Safe-guard dog for one package (3 pouches, each one treating up to 40lbs dog) $20.00/25.00 at petco. With one box you treat a 120lbs dog so for an adult Mastiff you will need 2 box so you will pay around $40/50 (instead of $7.00)

Now, for a 3 days treatment, you can use the horse wormer 3 times = $7.00

If You take the dog version a 3 days treatment will cost you between $120/150

Goat version is $20 a Tractor Supply for a 100ml. I let you do the math. :-)

Download Post

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: