I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Mastiff Online Community

Promote Your Page Too

Help Feed Dogs - FREE

The Animal Rescue Site

Best food for Mastiff Puppy

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
Winston
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:57 pm   Post subject: Question Best food for Mastiff Puppy Back to top 

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am looking for suggestions regarding the best food for my Mastiff puppy. I know that there are many variables and that all dogs respond differently but perhaps others have had similar experiences. My pup, Winston, is just over 4 months and has been on Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy for 2 months now. He has very loose stools (equivalent of mud pies) several times a day. I have read others who have had the same experience with Blue Buffalo. I was thinking of swithching to 4Health but noticed that they do not make a large breed puppy formula and some reviews also indicate that loose stools is a problem. I was thinking of mixing the 4Health Puppy formula with the Large Breed Adult formula. Thoughts on this? Or other recommendations??

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!
Lisa

Last edited by Winston on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total

Download Post   
Ashley
GUARDIAN
GUARDIAN
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:03 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Welcome to MOC! I would check out Bill's top food list located in the Dog Dish part of the forum. 4Health is a good food, and many have success with it. Each food affects each dog differently though. We raw feed Dagny as we were unable to find a kibble that sat well with her.

I moved your post to the Dog Dish for more exposure. Smile

Dagny
Download Post   
CentIAMastiffDaddy
GENTLE GIANT
GENTLE GIANT
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:46 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Blue Buffalo is one of those foods that either work or lead to diarrhea. Sounds like it's the latter for your pup.

4Health is good quality. Not the best food out there but certainly tons better than junk like Pedigree, Purina, Science Diet, etc. They're basic formulas so often work well for dogs with sensitive tummies.

Bill, Proud Papa to Ryanna
Download Post   
Bee Love
SNORER
SNORER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:47 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Welcome to MOC!!!! I used to feed 4health to my 1 year old and as soon as I switched, she started having cow patties. After we finished that bag, I startted her on Healthwise and the cow patties disappeared almost immediately. My first suggestion would be to make sure he doesnt have any parasites, then try a different food. When first making the switch, I bought a small 5 lb bag to make sure she liked it and that it firmed up her stool. That way, if she didnt like it or it didnt work, I didnt have a huge bag of dog food on my hands.

Good luck with everything and I cant wait to see pics of Winston!!

Check out Bee's blog! http://queenbeeblog.wordpress.com/
Download Post   
skyzmom
COUNTER SURFER
COUNTER SURFER
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:42 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Ok not to be gross.. but what the heck would a cow patty look like? lollll I have 2 posts on this topic, one regarding if the food Maci is on was a good choice for a mastiff and another regarding her loose stool. Maci is now on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness line which is grain free. She had been on Merrick Puppy Plate and both passed as good choices with Bill. I'm inclined to think it's not the food causing Macis loose stool because her stool never changes. Even on boiled burger and rice. So I ordered the Bac PAC Plus enzymes and probiotics. She just started yesterday, so too soon to tell. But after reading this thread and seeing that Blue Buffalo is a brand known to cause loose stools in some dogs, maybe I should switch her to.... Whatever Bill feeds his dogs! lol

GENTLE GIANT